Grenville House / Princess Helena Victoria Nursery, Ascot, Berkshire

At the onset of the Second World War in 1939, the residents of the Maurice Home in Ealing, run by the Waifs and Strays Society, were evacuated to Ascot. They stayed in part of a large house called Englemere Green On London Road, Ascot, owned by Mrs John Peyton.

Englemere Green, Ascot.

At the end of the war, it was decided that the Maurice House children should stay at Ascot and they moved into a nearby property called Sandridge, which was renamed Grenville House after Mrs Peyton's son, Thomas Grenville Peyton, who had been killed whilst serving in the forces in 1942. The new home was formally opened by Princess Marie Louise on July 27th, 1946.

The home closed in 1959 and re-opened the following year as a residential nursery, receiving the children from the Princess Helena Victoria Nursery in Catford. In 1961, Grenville House was itself renamed the Princess Helena Victoria Nursery.

Former Princess Helena Victoria Nursery, Ascot, 2014. © Peter Higginbotham

The nursery closed in 1969. The property is now occupied by a care home.

Records

Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.

Bibliography