Fron Home for Boys, Bodorgan, Anglesey, Wales

The Fron Home for Little Boys was located at Bethel, in the parish of Trefdraeth, Anglesey, although its postal address — based on the local railway station — was usually given as Bodorgan R.S.O. (Railway Sorting Office). The Home is said to have been founded by local people in around 1903. In 1905, however, it was taken over by the Waifs and Strays Society. The home could could accommodate up to eight boys aged from 4 to 10.

Fron Home for Boys, Bodorgan, c.1905. © Peter Higginbotham

In 1911, the matron was Margaret A. Davies, with Mary Owen as a servant, and eight boys in residence:

  • Medredith Pugh, aged 10, born Dolgelly
  • Stanley Hope, aged 9, born Manchester
  • Granville Ratclife, aged 8, born Preston
  • Thomas Mitchell, aged 8, born Bangor
  • William Swindley, aged 7, born Bucklow
  • Bernard Berry, aged 6, born Birmingham
  • Arthur Clark, aged 5, born Birkenhead
  • Harold Roberts, aged 3, born Connah's Quay

Fron Home for Boys, Bodorgan, c.1911. © Peter Higginbotham

Fron Home for Boys, Bodorgan, c.1913. © Peter Higginbotham

The home closed in 1918 and the residents transferred to the Society's recently opened St Garmon's Home at Betws Garmon.

The Bethel property still exists, located on the B4422 about a quarter of a mile north of Bethel.

Records

Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.

Bibliography