Coed Y Mwstwr, Bridgend, Glamorgan, Wales
On May 23rd, 1945, the Coed Y Mwstwr Approved School for Senior Girls was certified for operation at Coychurch, near Bridgend. The premises could accommodate up to 28 girls, aged between their 15th and 17th birthdays at their date of admission.
The School's Certificate of Approval was withdrawn on September 14th, 1962.
The property is now a country house hotel.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- None identfied at present — any information welcome.
- Higginbotham, Peter Children's Homes: A History of Institutional Care for Britain s Young (2017, Pen & Sword)
- Hyland,Jim Yesterday's Answers: Yesterday's Answers: Development and Decline of Schools for Young Offenders (1993, Whiting and Birch)
- Millham, S, Bullock, R, and Cherrett, P After Grace — Teeth: a comparative study of the residential experience of boys in Approved Schools (1975, Chaucer Publishing)
- The Therapeutic Care Journal — has a number of articles relating to Approved Schools.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.