Brighton and Hove Free Home for Destitute and Orphan Boys, Brighton, Sussex
The Brighton and Hove Free Home For Destitute And Orphan Boys, also known as the Brighton Home for Orphan Boys, was founded in 1870 'To shelter, feed, clothe and educate destitute orphan boys of respectable artisans.' Its premises at 3 Upper Lewes Road, Brighton, could accommodate 24 boys, aged from 7 upwards. The home was free to Brighton boys, with others making payment of £15 a year.
On reaching school-leaving age, the boys were apprenticed to trades or put out to situations, but remained at the Home until they were 16. All their earnings went towards their support. Each boy was given an outfit on leaving the Home. In 1887 there were 25 inmates at the home.
The Home is believed to have closed in the 1930s.
The Upper Lewes Road property is now in private residential use.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- None identfied at present — any information welcome.
- Higginbotham, Peter Children's Homes: A History of Institutional Care for Britain s Young (2017, Pen & Sword)
- None identified at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.