St David's Home / Thomas Turner Convalescent Home, Broadstairs, Kent

The St David's Convalescent Home, at 68 Stone Road, Broadstairs, was opened by the Waifs and Strays Society in 1911 as a replacement for the Nayworth Cottage Home at Hurstpierpoint in Sussex. The new premises, popularly referred to as 'Coronation Cottage', provided accommodation for 30 children aged from 5 to 16.

St David's Home Convalescent Home, Broadstairs, c.1911. © Peter Higginbotham

St David's Home Convalescent Home, Broadstairs, c.1912. © Peter Higginbotham

St David's Home Convalescent Home, Broadstairs, c.1913. © Peter Higginbotham

In 1915, a large legacy from the Rev. Thomas Turner was used to extend the home, taking its capacity to 45. The enlarged building was formally dedicated in 1916 by the Bishop of Dover, with the home being renamed as the Thomas Turner Convalescent Home. A few months later, the danger of wartime attacks caused the home to evacuate to its former premises at Hurstpierpoint until its return to Broadstairs in 1919.

St David's Home / Thomas Turner Convalescent Home, Broadstairs, c.1920. © Peter Higginbotham

St David's Home / Thomas Turner Convalescent Home, Broadstairs, c.1927. © Peter Higginbotham

Following the onset of the Second World War, the home closed in 1940 and its residents were evacuated to Devon.

In 1946, the home re-opened as St David's Nursery, a residential home for babies awaiting adoption. In 1971, there there were 23 children at the home, all aged two or under, living in four family groups named Dragons, Fireflies, Puffins and Babies. The home finally closed 1972.

The St David's building no longer exists and modern houses now occupy the site.

Records

Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.

Bibliography