St Jude's Home and Industrial School, Chelsea, London
The St Jude's Home and Industrial School was established in 1861. On December 22nd, 1864, its premises at 3 (later 9) Franklin's Row, Chelsea, were certified to house 42 girls aged from 6 to 13, including those committed there by magistrates' courts. Voluntary cases were admitted for a payment of £12 (later £16) a year which included board, lodging, schooling, industrial training, and clothing. Girls stayed at the school until about the age of 16. Girls suffering from fits, idiocy, or scrofula were not admitted.
Girls at the school were prepared for domestic service and trained in needlework, washing and laundry work, and — reflecting the school proximity to the Thames — shrimp picking. The older girls did all the work of the house, including the washing and cooking, and also made their own clothing.
In around 1895, the girls and their long-serving matron, Miss Elizabeth Sullivan, moved to new premises at 49 Dagnall Park, Selhurst.
The Franklin's Row premises no longer survive and the Burton Court flats now occupy the site.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- None identfied at present — any information welcome.
- Higginbotham, Peter Children's Homes: A History of Institutional Care for Britain s Young (2017, Pen & Sword)
- None identified at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.