St Faith's Home, Dorking, Surrey
The St Faith's Home for orphan or destitute girls was founded in 1892 at Parkstone, Dorset, by Fanny Matilda Langley. In 1922, the Home relocated to The Holmwood, near Dorking, Surrey. The new premises could accommodate up to 12 girls, aged 2-5 at their date of admission. (There had previously been a St Faith's Magdalen Home on Horsham Road, Dorking, but it appears to have had no connection with Miss Langley's establishment.)
After Miss Langley's death in 1929, the work of St Faith's was carried on by Miss Corbet Hue who had been a great benefactor to the scheme. By 1935, the Home had moved to Fredley Manor, a large house at Mickleham, to the north of Dorking, where 25 girls could be accommodated. At her death in 1954, Miss Corbet Hue bequeathed the residue of her estate to the ongoing support of St Faith's. The Home was still in operation in 1969.
In 1996, the charity became St Faith's Trust, providing grants "to relieve children and young people in the County of Surrey in conditions of need, hardship or distress" and supporting other charities, voluntary bodies and local authorities in the county working towards the same objective.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- The National Archives, Kew, Richmond, Surrey, TW9 4DU. Has a few inspection reports and other documents relating to the home.
- Higginbotham, Peter Children's Homes: A History of Institutional Care for Britain s Young (2017, Pen & Sword)
- Former child migrant Rupert Hewison's account of his time at St Faith's Home, and then at Fairbridge House 'Tresca' in Tasmania.
- St Faith's Trust
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.