Burghal Industrial School, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland
On 22 April 1856, the Burghal Industrial School was certified under Dunlop's Act to begin operation at the City Poor House, Forrest Row (or Forest Road), Edinburgh. The few children placed by a magistrate's order in this school were boarded out (in common with the other juvenile paupers of the parish) at homes in the country.
The Burghal School formally ceased operation in 1893.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- Edinburgh City Archives, Level 1, City Chambers, 253 High Street, Edinburgh EH1 1YJ, Scotland.
- Higginbotham, Peter Children's Homes: A History of Institutional Care for Britain s Young (2017, Pen & Sword)
- Mahood, Linda Policing Gender, Class and Family: Britain, 1850-1940 (1995, Univeristy of Alberta Press)
- Prahms, Wendy Newcastle Ragged and Industrial School (2006, The History Press)
- None noted at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.