St Lucy's Home of Charity, Gloucester, Gloucestershire
St Lucy's Home of Charity was established in 1869 to provide a home for respectably brought up girls. It was run by the Sisterhood of St John the Baptist, an Anglican order based at Clewer in Berkshire.
The Home occupied premises at 9-11 Hare Lane, Gloucester, and provided girls with a training in laundry, house and needle work, and were placed in domestic service. In 1907, the usual age of admission to the home was 12, with a payment of £12 a year required. The establishment also had an 'incurable' ward for 12 bed-ridden women and girls; any chronic case except cancer was received. A payment of 10s. a week was required plus a guarantee of £5 for burial in case of death.
In 1930, the age of admission to the training home was from 14 to 16 years, with girls staying until they were 18. The weekly fees were now 10s. for the training home and 15s. for the incurable ward. There were 34 girls and 14 patients in residence.
The Home was closed in 1934. The premises no longer exist.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- The Berkshire Record Office, 9 Coley Avenue, Reading, Berkshire RG1 6AF.
- Higginbotham, Peter Children's Homes: A History of Institutional Care for Britain s Young (2017, Pen & Sword)
- None identified at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.