Home for Incurable Children / Children's Hospital, Maida Vale / Hampstead, London

The Hospital and Home for Incurable Children was established in 1875 at 33 Maida Vale, London. This was at a time when children suffering from 'incurable' conditions such as spina bifida, epilepsy and rickets, found it difficult to obtain treatment in the capital's hospitals. The new establishment offered such children care until the reached the age of 16, at which time they were returned to their family or friends. Infectious cases were not admitted however.

In 1883, the Home moved to 2 Maida Vale and relocated again in 1904 to what became its long-term base at 'Northcourt', 40 College Crescent, Hampstead.

In 1909, the Home established a link with the Mary Yolland Home for Invalid Girls at Upper Hale, near Farnham. The Farnham home took girls from Northcourt who had passed beyond the establishment's upper age limit but who were unable to live independently and had no other support.

In 1919, the institution changed its name to the Northcourt Hospital and Home for Sick Children. In 1928, it became the Hampstead Hospital for Sick Children, and in 1929, the Children's Hospital, Hampstead.

At the beginning of the Second World War, the hospital was requisitioned by the War Office. At the inauguration of the National health Service in 1948, it became part of the Royal Free Group. The premises were initially used for nurse training and then as a nurses' home.

The site was sold in 1990. the building is now used as a 'boutique' hostel.

Records

Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.

Bibliography

  • None identified at present.