Rescue Society's Reformatory for Girls, Hampstead, London

On December 29th, 1857, a Reformatory for Girls was officially certified to begin operation at 28 Church Row, Hampstead, with accommodation for 40 inmates. It was operated by the Rescue Society, an organisation founded in 1853 for the "reformation of openly immoral women, and the guardianship and training of young girls exposed to danger".

Former Rescue Society's Reformatory for Girls, Hampstead, c.2011

An early inspection report on the institution noted that the premises — "a convenient house and garden" — were next to one of the refuges established by the Society for voluntary inmates. The matron was the "active and energetic" Miss Nicoll, with an assistant laundress also being employed.

An inspection report in December, 1859, noted that there were 50 inmates in residence, ten more than the official capacity.

In 1860, the Rescue Society decided to give up it involvement in the Reformatory. However, a group of interested gentlemen in the neighbourhood formed an association to open a new institution in premises at 9 Church Row, to be called the Hampstead Reformatory for Girls. At the end of 1860 the inmates from No. 28 were transferred to No. 9, along with Miss Nicoll whose employment was taken over by the new committee.

Records

Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.

  • None identfied at present — any information welcome.

Bibliography