Hull Council Homes

In 1930, following the abolition of the Hull and Sculcoates Poor Law Unions, the Hull Corporation took over responsibility for the administration of poor relief in the city. This included the children's cottage homes and scattered homes previously run by the two unions, which now came under the management of the council's new Public Assistance Committee.

The homes initially operated by the council are listed below.

LocationPlaces
Cottage Homes, 2050-2068 Hessle High Road (Hull Road), Hessle147
Receiving Home, 16-18 Linnaeus Street36
11 Cholmley Street10
30 Cholmley Street10
37 Derringham Street10
34 Fountain Street10
23 Linnaeus Street10
58 Mayfield Street10

Cottage Homes, Hessle High Road. © Peter Higginbotham

In 1939, only the scattered homes as 11 Cholmley Street and 23 Linnaeus Street were still in operation, but had been supplemented by two 14-bed homes at 12 and 14 Harley Street. The receiving home at 16-18 Linnaeus Street had also closed.

By 1947, the only scattered home that remained open was at 23 Linnaeus Street.

Following the passing of the 1948 Children Act, councils were required to provide care services for all needy children in their area, especially those who lacked a normal family home. In common with other local authorities, the council established a new Children's Committee, whose responsibilities had previously been spread across separate Health, Education and Social Welfare Committees. Under the new regime, residential care was seen as the least desirable option for children in care, but when it was employed, the recommended size of home was eight children, or twelve at most.

In addition to the existing children's homes, the new Children's Department had responsibility for a residential nursery on Margaret Street, a Remand Home on Marfleet Lane, and the Castle Howard Approved School.

By 1954, new family group homes had been opened at 1 Wellesley Avenue, 71 Marlborough Avenue, and 23 Ash Grove. A receiving home had also been established at Harley Street. The Margaret Street nursery was replaced in around 1958 by new provision at 2068 Hessle High Road.

The council's children's accommodation in 1959 comprised:

LocationPlaces
Cottage Homes, 2060 Hessle High Road (including Reception and Observation Centre and Short-stay Home)45
1 Wellesley Avenue9
71 Marlborough Avenue10
23 Ash Grove8
8 Milne Road, Bilton Grange Estate8
21 Coldstream Close, Longhill Estate8
10 Wansbeck Road, Longhill Estate8
Residential Nursery, 2068 Hessle High Road22
Hostel for Girls, 1123 Hessle High Road 
Westwood Remand Home for Girls, 48 Pearson Park6
Woodside Remand Home for Boys, 347 Saltshouse Road14
Castle Howard Approved School114

In the 1960s, further family group homes were opened at 2 Elgar Road (8 places), 1123 Hessle High High Road (10), 2A Hammersmith Close, Ings Road Estate (10), and 66 Selworthy Close, Bransholme Estate (10). In 1972, a new assessment and observation centre was opened on East Carr Road, with accommodation for up to 24 children.

Composite list of children's establishments run (at some time in their history) by Hull Council.

East Riding of Yorkshire

North Riding of Yorkshire

* indicates link to pages on www.workhouses.org.uk.

Records

The involvement of local authorities in the running of children's homes dates from 1930, when they took over the running of the poor relief system previously administered by Boards of Guardians. Surviving records for council-run children's homes may be held in each council's own internal archives. Prior to 1991, however, when a legal requirement was introduced for councils to retain records of children leaving their care, the survival of such records is very variable. Contact details for local authorities in the UK can be found on the website of the Care Leavers Association (CLA). The CLA also provides guidance on accessing childhood care files, which are normally only open to the individuals they relate to.

Locating local authority records has been complicated by the various local government reorganizations that have taken place in recent times, such as the abolition of the London County Council in 1965, and the major nationwide restructuring in 1974 in which many administrative areas were created, amended or eliminated.

Older records may sometimes be placed with the relevant county or borough record office. Many of these repositories have online catalogues of their holdings and also contribute to the National Archives' Discovery database. Note that records containing personal data usually have access closed for a period of fifty years or more.

Older material relating to Hull Council homes may exist at:

Some records relating to council-run homes, for example inspection reports (though not resident lists etc.), are held by The National Archives (TNA). A closure period may apply to these records.

Bibliography