Howard Orphan Home, Kendal, Westmorland
The Howard Orphan Home at Stainbank Green, near Kendal, was founded by Lady Mary Howard of Levens Hall. It was also known as the Westmorland Orphan Home for the Training of Domestic Servants.
The purpose-built house was erected in 1864 and opened the following year. The Home was intended to receive orphan girls, aged from four upwards, who would otherwise be residing in one of Westmorland's union workhouses. To this end, on March 1st, 1865, the Home was formally accredited as a Certified School, allowing it to take girls boarded out by the workhouse authorities. A payment of £5. 5s. per annum was required for each inmate, and an outfit was to be to be provided to each girl on leaving the Home. The girls attended a local elementary school until of a sufficient age to be trained as domestic servants. The Home had 40 inmates in 1890.
The Home was closed in 1954 and in 1956 the site was purchased at auction for £4,500 by Westmorland County Council. In 1957-58, the premises were briefly used as a nursery school but were in 1960 were converted for use as an old people's home in 1960. After the home closed in 1990, the property was sold and is now occupied by the Stonecross Manor Hotel.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- Kendal Archive Centre, Kendal County Offices, Kendal LA9 4RQ. Has admission registers (1865-1952).
- Certified Schools page on this website.
- None identified at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.