The Lavant Home, Lavant, Sussex
The Lavant Home for the Training of Orphan Girls was founded in 1871 at Trumley Road, Mid-Lavant, near Chichester. The home could accommodate 20 'orphan girls of good character belonging to West Sussex'. The home was also certified to receive girls placed by the Boards of Guardians who operated the poor relief and workhouse system. The girls, aged from 8 to 15, were trained in laundry work, plain needlework and brush making. Most of them were destined for employment as domestic servants.
The home closed in around 1913 and the premises were then taken over by the Chichester Poor Law Union for use as a children's cottage home.
The property is now in private residential use.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- West Sussex Record Office, County Hall, Chichester, West Sussex PO19 1RN.
- Higginbotham, Peter Children's Homes: A History of Institutional Care for Britain s Young (2017, Pen & Sword)
- None identified at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.