St Ethelburga's Home for Girls, Loughton, Essex

St Ethelburga's Home for Girls, at Loughton, was opened by the Waifs and Strays Society in 1908. It replaced the Alexandra Home for Girls in Kilburn whose cramped building stood directly next to a railway line.

Moving from Kilburn to Loughton, 1908. © Peter Higginbotham

The new home, located at 28 York Hill, Loughton, had previously housed the Oriolet Hospital and Convalescent Home, notable for being a vegetarian establishment. St Ethelburga's was officially opened on July 3rd, 1908, by the Bishop of Barking. It accommodated 40 girls aged from 8 to 14 years.

St Ethelburga's Home for Girls, Loughton, c.1908. © Peter Higginbotham

St Ethelburga's Home for Girls, Loughton, c.1908. © Peter Higginbotham

St Ethelburga's Home for Girls, Loughton, c.1908. © Peter Higginbotham

St Ethelburga's Home for Girls, Loughton, c.1920. © Peter Higginbotham

The home closed in 1922. The building was then occupied by the York House Hotel until it was demolished in 1930. The site is now covered by the housing of York Crescent.

Records

Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.

Bibliography