Girls' Training Home / St Faith's Home, Moulsoe, near Newport Pagnell, Buckinghamshire

In September 1888, a Home for the Training of Girls in Domestic Work was established at Moulsoe by Miss Mary Nixon of Moulsoe Rectory. Its object was 'to give a happy home-life and a thoroughly good training in domestic service to children of respectable birth and character.' The exact location of the premises has not been identified.

The Home could accommodate 8 girls aged from 7 to 12 at their time of admission. The younger girls attended the parish school, while the older ones received training for service in the Home, where they were taught to do the housework, washing, cooking, and needlework.

On 18th September, 1888, the Home was officially registered as a Certified School, allowing it to receive girls from workhouses, placed by Boards of Guardians for a weekly payment of 5s.

In September, 1893, the running of the establishment was taken over by the Waifs and Strays Society who renamed it the St Faith's Home For Girls.

In the late 1890s, the home was being superintended by a Miss Cook. The home closed in around 1900.

Records

Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.

Bibliography