NSPCC Children's Home, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland
In 1891, the Scottish National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children (NSPCC) Children's Home erected a children's home at 235 Corstorphine Road in the Edinburgh suburb of Murrayfield. Considerable support for the scheme was provided by the Marchioness of Tweeddale.
Unusually for the time, the home housed boys and girls together up to the age of 14.
The home became well-known for its Pipe Band which regularly performed in full highland regalia at events in and around Edinburgh. Lady Tweeddale's Pipers, as the band was known, comprised twelve pipers, two kettle-drummers and a bass drummer. Practice for the latter was said to have taken place in the home's coal cellar. As well as music, the boys performed dances such as a traditional sword dance. On leaving the home, a number of the boys enlisted in Scottish regiments or went to sea, while others entered service in large houses.
The girls contributed to the household tasks, with most eventually entering domestic service.
The home's Lasy Superintendent for many years was Miss M.L. Sutter.
The home closed in around 1908. The property was used for a short time as a convalescent home. It was then occupied by the Edinburgh Widowers' Children's Home.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- None identfied at present — any information welcome.
- Higginbotham, Peter Children's Homes: A History of Institutional Care for Britain s Young (2017, Pen & Sword)
- None identified at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.