Jubilee Training Home, Parson's Green, Fulham, London

In 1867, the London Female Preventive and Reformatory Institution (LFPRI) was given the use of a house at 7 Parson's Green, Fulham, by Dr Holt Yates, who had supported the organisation's work for a number of years. The house was used as a 'preventive' home for 'friendless girls of good character' who were trained for domestic service.

At the death of Dr Holt yates in January, 1874, the house, together with the adjacent No. 6 Parson's Green, were acquired by the Institution. In 1887, the year of Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee, the two houses were converted into a single home. A commemorative stone for the scheme was laid on June 19th, 1886, by Mrs F.A. Bevan, who also declared the enlarged home open on June 11th, 1887. The establishment, now known as the Jubilee Training Home, could accommodate up to 50 girls aged around 15 years at their date of entry. A few convalescent girls were also admitted.

Jubilee Training Home, 7 Parson's Green, Fulham, c.1905. © Peter Higginbotham

Immediately adjacent to the Jubilee Home, at No. 5 Parson's Green, was the Institution's Holt Yates Memorial Home. Another institution, the School of Disciple for Girls, stood at No. 11.

The Jubilee Home continued in use until the early 1930s. The premises no longer exist.

After the Second World War, LFPRI changed its name to the London Haven for Women and Girls. The organisation was wound up in 1976, with its remaining assets being passed to the Rainer Foundation which later became part of Catch22.

Records

Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.

  • Galleries of Justice, Wolfson Study Centre, The Shire Hall, Lace Market, Nottingham NG1 1HN. Holds Rainer Foundation archives which include LFPRI material.
  • London Metropolitan Archives, 40 Northampton Road, London EC1R OHB. (The Ancestry website also has LMA records relating to workhouses and other institutions — more details.) Has some records from 200 Euston Road (1907-47). The LMA catalogue notes "previous papers in parcel now missing".

Bibliography