Boys' and Girls' Orphanages, Salzburg, Austria
An orphanage for girls was erected in 1769 and opened in 1771 on Gaswerkgasse, Salzburg.
Since the mid-twentieth century, the building has been used by the state hospital, first as a student hostel then, since the early 1980s, as a training centre.
A separate boy's orphanage was erected at the same date a little way to the south of the girls' establishment. It no longer exists except for a plaque which was once located above its entrance. The plaque has now been fitted into a wall near its original site.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- None identfied at present — any information welcome.
- Higginbotham, Peter Children's Homes: A History of Institutional Care for Britain s Young (2017, Pen & Sword)
- None identified at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.