Home for Destitute and Motherless Children / Children's Home and Mission, South Woodford, Essex,
The Home for Destitute and Motherless Children was founded in 1899 by Miss Rosa Hutchin and Mr Herbert White. The home acquired premises on Crescent Road East, South Woodford, which were gradually extended and could eventually accommodate up to 70 children aged from 5 to 10 years at their time of admission.
By 1927, the organisation had been renamed the Children's Home and Mission. During the Second World War, the children were relocated to the countryside in a large house called the Grove, at Tiptree.
Mill Grove, as it was renamed in 1976, continues to be home to a residential community for children and young people.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- Mill Grove, 10 Crescent Road, South Woodford, London E181JB.
- Holman, Bob Not Like Any Other Home: Herbert White and the Children's Home and Mission (1994, Campaign Literature Saltcoats)
- Mill Grove website.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.