Arnold Grove Home for Girls, Southwell, Nottinghamshire

The Arnold Grove Home for Girls was opened by the Waifs and Strays Society in February 1887 in the house of that name on Church Street, Arnold, near Southwell. The large property was capable of accommodating up to 50 girls aged from 12 to 16, although the total in residence never exceeded 30.

Girls at the home were expected to enter domestic service and they were trained in various household skills such as laundry and kitchen work. The home seems to have developed a good reputation for its cooking, with some of its produce being sold locally.

In 1894, the home was transferred to Newark where it became the St Barnabas' Home for Girls.

Arnold Grove (or Arnoldgrove) no longer survives. Mellors Road now covers the site of the home.

Records

Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.

Bibliography