Receiving Home for Boys, Stockwell, London

The Stockwell Receiving Home for Boys was established by the Waifs and Strays Society in 1914 at 197 Clapham Road, Stockwell. It replaced the Islington Technical Home which had relocated to Wellingborough the previous year. The home was formally opened by the Bishop of Southwark on June 3rd, 1914. It could house 30 boys aged from 6 to 14.

Receiving Home for Boys, Stockwell, c.1914. © Peter Higginbotham

Like the Society's other Receiving Homes, Stockwell provided temporary accommodation for children coming into the Society's care. After being assessed, given a medical check-up, a bath and new clothes, the children typically spent two or three weeks at the home before being moved to one of the Society's branch homes or placed in a foster home. In addition, the home provided emergency accommodation for children that needed immediate shelter, and could also be used by 'old boys' of the Society's homes who needed temporary accommodation.

Matron and inmates at the Receiving Home for Boys, Stockwell, c.1914. © Peter Higginbotham

Garden at the Receiving Home for Boys, Stockwell, c.1914. © Peter Higginbotham

Receiving Home for Boys, Stockwell, c.1924. © Peter Higginbotham

When the Society's Peckham Receiving Home for Boys closed in July 1925, its residents were transferred to the Stockwell home which was subsequently renamed St Cyprian's Home for Boys. However, the home closed just two later in 1927.

The Clapham Road premises no longer exist.

Records

Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.

Bibliography