St Martin's Home For Crippled Boys, Surbiton, Surrey

St Martin's Home For Crippled Boys was opened by the Waifs and Strays Society in 1898 at 11 Cadogan Road, Surbiton, Surrey. It was the first such establishment to be opened by the Society and was made possible by anonymous donation of £1,000 made specifically for the purpose. The Home was formally opened by the Venerable Archdeacon Burney on November 19th, 1898. It could accommodate 21 boys, aged from 8 to 14.

St Martin's Home For Crippled Boys, Surbiton, date unknown. © Peter Higginbotham

Bobby, an inmate of St Martin's Home For Crippled Boys, Surbiton, c.1899. © Peter Higginbotham

David and Charlie in school room at St Martin's Home For Crippled Boys, Surbiton, c.1899. © Peter Higginbotham

As well as classroom education, the boys at St Martin's were taught tailoring, to help improve their prospects for future employment.

Harry H, Willy M, Alfred G, and Charles M at work at St Martin's Home For Crippled Boys, Surbiton, c.1899. © Peter Higginbotham

Football at St Martin's Home For Crippled Boys, Surbiton, c.1899. © Peter Higginbotham

Gardening at St Martin's Home For Crippled Boys, Surbiton, c.1899. © Peter Higginbotham

Nurses and boys at St Martin's Home For Crippled Boys, Surbiton, c.1903. © Peter Higginbotham

St Martin's Home For Crippled Boys, Surbiton, c.1910. © Peter Higginbotham

In 1916, the home moved to new premises at Pyrford, near Woking, close to the Society's St Nicholas Hospital Home and Special School.

The Surbiton property was re-opened in 1917 as the St Cecilia's Girls' Home.

Records

Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.

Bibliography