St Ursula's Home for Girls, Teddington, Middlesex

St Ursula's Home for Girls was opened in 1912 by the Waifs and Strays Society at Amberley House, 44 Hampton Road, Teddington. On 23rd February, 1912, it was certified as an Industrial School, with accommodation for up to 25 girls placed there by magistrates. St Ursula's had a special role in receiving girls who had 'been the victims of immoral treatment'.

In 1918, the home relinquished its Industrial School role and became an ordinary branch home for 30 girls aged 7 to 16.

St Ursula's Home for Girls, Teddington, c.1912. © Peter Higginbotham

St Ursula's Home for Girls, Teddington, c.1912. © Peter Higginbotham

St Ursula's Home for Girls, Teddington, c.1912. © Peter Higginbotham

St Ursula's Home for Girls, Teddington, c.1921. © Peter Higginbotham

In 1930, the cost of making the rented building fit for continued occupation was such that it decided to close the home. That year's Christmas party was attended by fourteen 'old girls' of the home.

Last group at St Ursula's Home for Girls, Teddington, 1931. © Peter Higginbotham

The property is now in private residential use.

Records

Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.

Bibliography