The Firs Home for Girls, Hillingdon Heath, Uxbridge, Middlesex

The Firs Home for Girls was a 'cottage home' operated by the Waifs and Strays Society from around 1893 to 1902 at Hillingdon Heath, near Uxbridge. The home was located on London (now Uxbridge) Road at Hillingdon Heath, near Uxbridge, in the vicinity of Heath Road and just a few hundred yards from the Hillingdon Heath Home for Girls. In 1901 the matron was Mrs Amelia Churchill, with the ten girls in residence aged from 4 to 14.

The home trained girls for service and requested a £1 entrance fee and a £10 yearly payment for each girl.

It is thought that the home was a successor to the Society's Gould's Green Home for Girls.

The Firs Home closed in 1902. The property no longer exists.

Records

Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.

Bibliography