St Nicholas' Home for Boys, West Boldon, County Durham

The St Nicholas' Home for Boys was erected by the Waifs and Strays Society in 1905-6 at Dipe Lane, West Boldon, County Durham. The foundation stone for the building was laid by the Marchioness of Londonderry on September 21st, 1905, and was opened by the Assistant Bishop of Durham, Noel Hodges, on July 10th, 1906.

St Nicholas' Home for Boys, West Boldon, c.1908. © Peter Higginbotham

St Nicholas' Home for Boys, West Boldon, c.1908. © Peter Higginbotham

St Nicholas' Home for Boys, West Boldon, c.1912. © Peter Higginbotham

Boys 'on parade' at St Nicholas' Home, West Boldon, c.1924. © Peter Higginbotham

St Nicholas' Home for Boys, West Boldon, c.1926. © Peter Higginbotham

In 1960, the establishment ceased being a boys' home and was converted for use as a family group home. It closed in 1973 with the staff and children being transferred to the St Aidan's Home at Tynemouth.

The Dipe Lane property no longer exists.

Records

Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.

Bibliography