Girls' Orphan Home and Industrial School, Whitehaven, Cumberland

The Whitehaven Orphan Home and Industrial School for Girls (also known as the Whitehaven Girls' Home and Industrial Institution) was established in 1860 'to befriend destitute girls, especially orphans, training them to industrial habits, fitting them for domestic service, and providing them with suitable situations.' The institution was maintained by public subscriptions and donations, supplemented by income generated by the labour of the girls. It was managed by a committee of ladies.

The home was initially based in the former Preston Quarter township workhouse in the Ginns area of Whitehaven but by the early 1870s had moved into a property purchased at Granby Place, on Michael Street. The building could accommodate twenty girls aged from 13 to 17. For each girl admitted to the home, an initial fee of 5s. was requested and then a weekly contribution of 3s. 6d. However, the charges could be negotiated according to the circumstances and a few free cases were taken. New entrants were required to be in good health not feeble-minded. Girls in the home were occupied in laundry work, needlework and knitting.

In around 1904, the home moved to new premises known as Granby House at 1 Victoria Road, Whitehaven.

Former Orphan Home For Girls, Whitehaven, 2012. © Peter Higginbotham

Not long after the move, the home was handed over to the Waifs and Strays Society and became their St Agnes' Home.

The Victoria Road property still survives, now converted to private residential use.

Records

Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.

Bibliography