Sutcliffe School, Winsley, Bradford-upon-Avon, Wiltshire
The Sutcliffe School began life in 1846 as a ragged school in Bath. After almost a century in premises on London Road Bath, it found a new home at Winsley House, Winsley, Bradford-upon-Avon. The site was purchase in 1949, but it was not until July 1952 that the establishment was officially re-opened by Mr Basil Henriques, Chairman of East London Juvenile Court and one of the country's best-known social workers for young people. The school, then described as being for maladjusted boys, could accommodate 30 youngsters aged from 7 to 11 years of age.
The school ceased operation in August 1992.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- None identfied at present — any information welcome.
- Higginbotham, Peter Children's Homes: A History of Institutional Care for Britain s Young (2017, Pen & Sword)
- Mahood, Linda Policing Gender, Class and Family: Britain, 1850-1940 (1995, Univeristy of Alberta Press)
- Prahms, Wendy Newcastle Ragged and Industrial School (2006, The History Press)
- None noted at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.