Training Home for Girls, Worthing, Sussex

The Training Home for Girls was established by the Winchester Diocese in around 1883 at North End Cottage, 83 High Street, Worthing. Girls were admitted from the age of 13 and trained for domestic service. A payment of 3s. a week was required for girls from within the Diocese, or 5s. from outside. In 1885, the matron of the home was a Mrs Clarke.

In 1890, the operation of the home was taken over by the Waifs and Strays Society.

Following an outbreak of typhoid fever in 1893, the home was closed and the girls evacuated to the Society's Byfleet Receiving Home, from where they were dispersed to other branches. The Worthing home then was then pressed into used as a local fever hospital.

The property had various later uses, at one time being a store for the WRVS. It is now in private residential use.

Records

Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.

Bibliography