Kenward, Yalding, Kent
in May 1943, a Barnardo's home for girls was opened in a large house called Kenward, situated on Kenward Road to the north of Yalding. In August of the following year, the girls and staff were relocated to the new Balcary home at Hawick in Roxburghshire where they stayed for the rest of the war. In 1947, after a brief period back at Yalding, now a mixed establishment, some Kenward residents moved to new premises at Heathfield House, Maidstone.
The location of the home is shown on the 1961 map below.
Kenward continued in operation until around 1969 after which its name was taken on by the Heathfield House home.
The property is now occupied by the Kenward Trust, a charity providing services for the rehabilitation and care of those with drug and alcohol problems.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- Barnardo's 'Making Connections' and Family History Services — for enquiries relating the records of children formerly in the care of Barnardo's and those of other organisations absorbed by them.
- Barnardo, Syrie Louise, and Marchant, James Memoirs of the Late Dr Barnardo (Hodder & Stoughton, 1907)
- Batt, J.H. Dr. Barnardo: The Foster-Father of "Nobody's Children" (S.W. Partridge, 1904)
- Bready, J. Wesley Doctor Barnardo (Allen & Unwin, 1930)
- Higginbotham, Peter Children's Homes: A History of Institutional Care for Britain s Young (2017, Pen & Sword)
- Rose, June For the Sake of the Children: Inside Dr. Barnardo's: 120 years of caring for children (Hodder & Stoughton, 1987)
- Wagner, Gillian Barnardo (Weidenfeld & Nicholson, 1979)
- The Barnardo's website.
- The Goldonian Website — memories and information from former Barnardo's children.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.