Ingledene, Bowdon, Cheshire

A large house known as Ingledene, at 2 Richmond Road, Bowdon, was used during the Second World War as a children's nursery. In 1946, the Waifs and Strays Society purchased the property for use as a residential nursery home for 26 children up to the age of five. The home also served as a training school for nursery nurses.

Ingledene, Bowdon, c.2011.

In 1974, when the Society's St Christopher's Home at Altrincham closed, its residents were transferred to Ingledene.

In the 1980s, the home became a treatment centre for children with severe emotional problems. In 1989, a unit for teenagers was established at the home to provide support for those making the transition between institutional care and independent living.

Ingledene finally closed in 1991 and was sold off the following year. The property is now a private residence.

Records

Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.

Bibliography