Cardiff Council Homes
Composite list of children's establishments run (at some time in their history) by Cardiff Council.
- Cardif Union/Council Receiving Home, 103 Cowbridge Road [West], Cardiff*
- Family Group Home, 118 Cathedral Road, Cardiff
- Family Group Home, 1-2 Thompson Avenue, Victoria Park, Cardiff
- Cardif Union/Council Scattered Home, 13-15 Northcote Street, Roath, Cardiff*
- Family Group Home, 132 Penylan Road, Cardiff
- Cardif Union/Council Scattered Home, 145-7 Clive Road, Canton, Cardiff*
- Family Group Home, 18 Gwbert Close, Rumney, Cardiff
- Cardif Union/Council Scattered Home, 22 Woodville Road, Cathays, Cardiff*
- 25 Newport Road, Cardiff
- Family Group Home, 318 Cowbridge Road West, Cardiff
- Cardiff Councll Hostel, 34 Arles Road, Cardiff
- 39 Partridge Road, Cardiff
- Cardif Union/Council Scattered Home, 40-42 Llanfair Road, Canton, Cardiff*
- Cardif Union/Council Scattered Home, 433-435 (now 485-487) Cowbridge Road [East], Canton, Cardiff*
- Cardif Union/Council Scattered Home, 449-451 (now 501-503) Cowbridge Road [East], Canton, Cardiff*
- 487 Cowbridge Road East, Cardiff
- Family Group Home, 495 Cowbridge Road East, Cardiff
- Family Group Home, 503 Cowbridge Road East, Cardiff
- Family Group Home, 67 Cowbridge Road West, Cardiff
- Family Group Home, 7 Romilly Road, Cardiff
- Cardif Union/Council Scattered Home, 9-15 Romilly Crescent, Canton, Cardiff*
- Famil Group Home, Arosfa, Gorse Place, Pentrebane, Cardiff
- Cardiff Union/Council Schools and Cottage Homes, Cowbridge Road [West], Ely, Cardiff*
- Cardiff and Barry Truant / Industrial School for Boys, Dinas Powis, Cardiff
- Cardif Council Scattered Home, Pembroke House, 1 Conway Road, Cardiff
- Residential Nursery, Suffolk House, Llandaff Road / Romilly Road, Cardiff
- Remand Home for Boys / Penhill Community Home, The Rise, Penhill Road, Cardiff
- John Kane Reception Home, The Rise, Thornhill Road, Llanishen, Cardiff
- Residential Training Nursery, Trowbridge Nursery, Greenway Road, Rumney, Cardiff
- Family Group Home, Trowbridge, 29 Abergele Road, Cardiff
- Home for Maladjusted Children, Walker House, Fidlas Road, Llanishen, Cardiff
- Sixteen Scattered Homes, Cardiff
- Suffolk House Babies' Nursery, Cardiff
* indicates link to pages on www.workhouses.org.uk.
The involvement of local authorities in the running of children's homes dates from 1930, when they took over the running of the poor relief system previously administered by Boards of Guardians. Surviving records for council-run children's homes may be held in each council's own internal archives. Prior to 1991, however, when a legal requirement was introduced for councils to retain records of children leaving their care, the survival of such records is very variable. Contact details for local authorities in the UK can be found on the website of the Care Leavers Association (CLA). The CLA also provides guidance on accessing childhood care files, which are normally only open to the individuals they relate to.
Locating local authority records has been complicated by the various local government reorganizations that have taken place in recent times, such as the abolition of the London County Council in 1965, and the major nationwide restructuring in 1974 in which many administrative areas were created, amended or eliminated.
Older records may sometimes be placed with the relevant county or borough record office. Many of these repositories have online catalogues of their holdings and also contribute to the National Archives' Discovery database. Note that records containing personal data usually have access closed for a period of fifty years or more.
Older material relating to Cardiff Council homes may exist at:
- Glamorgan Archives, Clos Parc Morgannwg, Leckwith, Cardiff CF11 8AW.
Some records relating to council-run homes, for example inspection reports (though not resident lists etc.), are held by The National Archives (TNA). A closure period may apply to these records.
- Higginbotham, Peter Children's Homes: A History of Institutional Care for Britain s Young (2017, Pen & Sword)
- Urquhart, Gloria (2020) Nobody's Child: The True Story of Growing up in a Yorkshire Children's Home
- Cooke, Allan Institutionalized in a Children's Home: Skellow Hall 1950-1963 — a true story of a child and children in a home (2012, Authorhouse)
- Cummings, Les Forgotten: The Heartrending Story of Life in a Children's Home
- Limbrick, Gudrun The Children of the Homes: a century of Erdington Cottage Homes
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.