Carlisle Training Home, Carlisle, Cumberland
The Carlisle Training Home for Girls was established in 1883 by the Diocese of Carlisle. It occupied premises at 48 Abbey Street, Carlisle, where up to eleven girls could be accommodated. The home took poor girls of good character and trained them for domestic service. A payment of four to five shillings a week was required for each girl placed at the home.
On 30 July 1898, the home was licensed to operate as a Certified School, allowing it to receive girls boarded out by the poor law authorities.
The home closed in 1914. The property currently houses a restaurant.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- None identfied at present — any information welcome.
- Higginbotham, Peter Children's Homes: A History of Institutional Care for Britain s Young (2017, Pen & Sword)
- None identified at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.