Frances Owen Memorial Home, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
The Frances Owen Home was established in 1883 in memory of Mrs Frances Mary Owen, the wife of the Rev. J.A. Owen, a house-master at Cheltenham College. The couple were both active in helping the poor and underprivileged in the town and in 1880 had founded a Christian Mission in Rutland Street, what was then a notorious part of the town. The Frances Owen Home, at 28 Cambray Place, Cheltenham, was intended for the rescue of girls who had fallen into moral danger — sometimes referred to as the 'friendless and fallen'. It provided accommodation for up to three months. Local cases were received without charge. For others, a weekly payment of 3s.6d. to 5s. was required. The home could accommodate up to 8 girls, with no limit on age.
The home was taken over by the Church Army in 1901 and is believed to have continued in operation up until the 1930s.
The property is now in private residential use.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- None identfied at present — any information welcome.
- Higginbotham, Peter Children's Homes: A History of Institutional Care for Britain s Young (2017, Pen & Sword)
- None identified at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.