Croydon Orphan Home, Croydon, Surrey
The Croydon Orphan Home was established in 1885 and occupied premises at what is thought to be at what is now 256 Sydenham Road, Croydon. Its object was 'to receive little girls over 4 years of age, who have lost one or both parents.' For those admitted, a payment of 5s. per week was requested, when possible. Entrants were required to provided a medical certificate of good health. The girls attended local Board and Sunday Schools and were taught all kinds of needlework, and trained for domestic service. When found a situation at the age of 15 or 16 they were provided with an outfit.
In the early 1900s, the home moved to a newly built property at 65A Lebanon Road, Croydon.
In 1922, the Home moved to Broadstairs and subsequently merged with the Tait Homes.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- None identfied at present — any information welcome.
- Higginbotham, Peter Children's Homes: A History of Institutional Care for Britain s Young (2017, Pen & Sword)
- None identified at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.