St Monica's Home for Diabetic Children, Deal, Kent

St Monica's Home for Diabetic Children was opened by the Waifs and Strays Society in 1949 to provide residential care for a group which was generally poorly catered for at that time. The home, or hostel as it was more usually known, was located on St Monica's Road, Kingsdown. It was opened on July 8th by Council Chairman Mr C.G. Lines and dedicated by the Bishop of Dover. Accommodation was provided for 24 children aged from 5 to 13.

St Monica's was the Society's first home for diabetic children. The second, St George's in Manchester, followed soon afterwards. Emphasis was placed on the children taking responsibility their own care, whether through monitoring their diet or in administering their own insulin injections.

In other respects, the hostel was much like any other children's home of the time. The children attended local schools, joined local Girl Guides, Brownies and Wolf Cub groups, learned musical instruments, and took part in sporting activities.

The home closed in 1972.

Records

Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.

Bibliography