Cliff House Remand Home / Newcliff House School, Leeds, West Riding of Yorkshire
Cliff House, on Fawcett Lane, Leeds, was donated to Leeds City Council in 1929 by Stephen Cliff. A few years later it began operation as a Remand Home for up to 23 boys, aged between 8 and 16 years.
In 1958, Cliff House was replaced by a new Remand Home at Skelton Lane. At around the same time, a new Remand home for girls was opened at Westwood Grange, Beeston park Ring Road.
On March 16th 1966, Cliff House was re-opened as a residential school for boys with special educational needs, the first of its kind to be sponsored by a local authority. It accommodated up to 18 boarders and 6 day pupils. In around 1969 it became Newcliff (or Newcliffe) House School, a Community Special School, which operated until the end of August, 1998. In recent years, the building has stood empty.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- West Yorkshire Archive Service - Leeds, Nepshaw Lane South, Morley, Leeds LS27 7JQ. Has records (1969-97).
- The National Archives, Kew, Richmond, Surrey, TW9 4DU. Has inspection reports (1950-1963).
- Higginbotham, Peter Children's Homes: A History of Institutional Care for Britain s Young (2017, Pen & Sword)
- None identified at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.