Lincoln and Lincolnshire Penitent Females' Home, Lincoln, Lincolnshire

The Lincoln and Lincolnshire Penitent Females' Home for 'the temporary residence, moral reformation, and religious instruction of unfortunate females' was established following a large meeting in the Lincoln City Assembly Rooms on 11th June, 1847. A property was rented for the purpose at Steep Hill, Lincoln, although it soon proved too small for the purpose, with the inmates said to be crowded together 'to their great discomfort and the danger of their health'.

After energetic fund-raising, a piece of land was purchased on Carline Road, at the south side of Lincoln workhouse, on which to erect permanent premises for the Home. On May 2nd, 1850, the foundation stone for the new building was laid 'with Masonic Honours' by the Earl of Yarborough. The same evening, a celebratory tea party was held at the Corn Exchange, tickets priced one shilling. The building admitted its first inmates on December 14th of that year.

In 1884, the Home, whose location was then referred to as Above Hill, could accommodate 25 girls and women, with the maximum age for admission being 25. Destitute cases were admitted free, others on payment of £3. A medical certificate of good health was also required. Inmates were expected to remain for two years in the Home and were occupied in needlework and laundry work. The superintendent at that date was Miss Nunn.

By 1912, the establishment was known as the Lincoln and Lincolnshire Girls' Home, and premises had adopted the name Belle Vue House. The superintendent was now Miss L.A. Taylor.

Lincoln and Lincolnshire Girls' Home, Lincoln. © Peter Higginbotham

On June 3rd, 1936, the premises were certified for use as an Approved School, accommodating up to 30 girls. The managers gave notice of their intention to resign their certificate on 7th January, 1949.

The building no longer survives and the houses of Belle Vue Road now cover the site.

Records

Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.

  • No records noted at present for this establishment — any information welcome.

Census

Bibliography

  • None noted at present.