St Margaret's Home for Girls, Louth, Lincolnshire

St Margaret's Home for Girls was opened by the Waifs and Strays Society in 1912 at 66 Victoria Road, Louth. It was officially opened on October 11th by the Bishop of Lincoln. The purpose-built premises, designed by Mr E.J. May, could accommodate for 30 girls aged from 3 to 16, together with a matron and assistant matron. The house, which stood in an acre of ground, included recreation and work rooms, and two covered spaces for play in wet weather. The dormitories were all placed on one floor to facilitate escape in case of fire. Other facilities included bathrooms, laundry, and an isolation room.

St Margaret's Home for Girls, Louth, c.1923. © Peter Higginbotham

St Margaret's Home for Girls, Louth, 1912. © Peter Higginbotham

Dedication of St Margaret's Home for Girls, Louth, 1912. © Peter Higginbotham

St Margaret's Home for Girls, Louth, 1914. © Peter Higginbotham

In 1925, there were eight pairs of sisters living at the home, pictured below.

Eight pairs of sisters at St Margaret's Home for Girls, Louth, c.1925. © Peter Higginbotham

St Margaret's Home for Girls, Louth, c.1927. © Peter Higginbotham

After the Second World War, St Margaret's became a mixed home. It finally closed in 1969.

The property is now used as a hotel.

St Margaret's Home for Girls, Louth, 2013. © Peter Higginbotham

St Margaret's Home for Girls, Louth, 2013. © Peter Higginbotham

Records

Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.

Bibliography