St Vincent's Crèche/Nursery/School/Orphanage, Marylebone, London
The St Vincent's Crèche, for the children of milk-women, was established in 1868 at Beaumont Street, Marylebone, London W1. It was run by a Roman Catholic order of nuns, the Daughters of Charity of St Vincent de Paul.
In 1869, the Crèche moved to Bulstrode Street, Marylebone, where it became St Vincent's Nursery and Orphanage for Girls.
Another move came in 1879, taking it to 9 Lower Seymour Street (renamed Wigmore Street in 1923), Marylebone. The premises now offered a day-nursery and school/orphanage.
In January, 1938, the establishment moved to Blandford Street, Marylebone, to become St Vincent's Orphanage and Day School, with 53 orphans then in residence.
At the outbreak of the Second World War in September, 1939, the sSchool was evacuated to Bristol. During the war, the building was used as a communal meals service, as emergency accommodation, and as a public shelter.
After the war, the School, re-opened but the orphanage was discontinued.
In July, 2005, a decline in the Sisters' numbers resulted in the Order selling their Blandford Street convent and school building to Westminster Council. The School is now managed by the Council in partnership with the Roman Catholic Diocese of Westminster. Some of the original buildings still survive, including the chapel and a dormitory block.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- Daughters Of Charity Of St Vincent De Paul, Provincial House, The Ridgeway, Mill Hill, London NW7 1RE. (Archivist: Sister Bernadette Ryder DC)
- Higginbotham, Peter Children's Homes: A History of Institutional Care for Britain s Young (2017, Pen & Sword)
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.