Craigerne, Peebles, Peeblesshire, Scotland
In April 1956, Barnardo's opened it Craigerne residential school at Edderstone Road, Peebles. The school was used for boys with emotional difficulties.
The accommodation at the school was initially quite cramped for its 25 pupils, with two of its four classrooms and a makeshift assembly area being too small for their purpose. Toilet facilities were also poor. A £90,000 refurbishment in 1982 provided much improved classroom facilities, a new gymnasium which also served as an assembly hall and theatre, and a workshop and dark-room. New hot water supplies and toilet facilities were also installed.
The school was closed in June 1989. The property is now incorporated into a modern housing development on the site.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- Barnardo's Family History Service deals with enquiries regarding records of individual children — various services are available costing from £25 upwards.
Making Connections — a service for those wishing to access their Barnardo's adoption records.
- Barnardo's historical administrative records are now deposited with Liverpool University's Social Welfare Archives with stringent restrictions on their access.
- Barnardo, Syrie Louise, and Marchant, James Memoirs of the Late Dr Barnardo (Hodder & Stoughton, 1907)
- Batt, J.H. Dr. Barnardo: The Foster-Father of "Nobody's Children" (S.W. Partridge, 1904)
- Bready, J. Wesley Doctor Barnardo (Allen & Unwin, 1930)
- Rose, June For the Sake of the Children: Inside Dr. Barnardo's: 120 years of caring for children (Hodder & Stoughton, 1987)
- Wagner, Gillian Barnardo (Weidenfeld & Nicholson, 1979)
- The Barnardo's website.
- The Goldonian Website — memories and information from former Barnardo's children.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.