Ebley House, Stroud, Gloucestershire

The Ebley House branch of the National Children's Home (NCH) was opened in 1921 at 235 Westward Road, Ebley, near Stroud. In 1930, it was recorded as having accommodation for sixty boys and girls up to the age of 16.

Ebley House NCH home, Stroud.

Ebley House NCH home, Stroud.

From 1943, the home was used for babies and children under five. The nursery department later provided day-care facilities for children in the local area as well as those resident in the home.

Girls at the Ebley House NCH home, Stroud, c.1940. © Peter Higginbotham

The property was later used as offices. In 2007 it was taken over for use as a Steiner school.

Records

Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.

  • Action For Children (formerly the National Children's Home) can provide access to care records for people who were adopted through the charity or who resided in one of its homes. Currently this service is only available to the individuals concerned and not to the descendents of deceased former residents.

Bibliography

  • Bradfield, William The Life of the Reverend Thomas Bowman Stephenson (1913, Kelly)
  • Curnock, Nehemiah The Story of the Children's Home (C.H. Kelly, 1901)
  • Horner, Francis Shadow and Sun (Epworth Press, 1920)
  • Philpot, Terry Action For Children (Lion, 1994)
  • Walpole, Cecil F. Golden Links (Epworth Press, 1941)

Films