Humber Industrial School Ship 'Southampton', Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire
The Southampton, moored on the River Humber at Hull, was established as a training ship in 1866. On July 31st, 1868, the ship was officially certified as an Industrial School Ship, allowing it to take boys committed by magistrates. The vessel could accommodate 240 boys aged from 11 to 15.
The Southampton had a sea-going tender, the Ripple, which was separately certified for Industrial School use on July 26th, 1878.
By the end of 1909, the Southampton had trained 2,600 boys, 57 per cent of whom had gone into the Merchant Service, and 5 per cent to the Royal Navy.
In 1911, the ship was under the control of Commander H. J. de W. Kitcat, R.N. The Secretary was Mr. F.C. Manley, solicitor, of 16, Bowl Alley Lane, Hull.
The ship was closed on March 28th, 1912, and the boys transferred to the Training Ship Mount Edgcumbe.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.
- Hull History Centre, Worship Street, Hull HU2 8BG. Sparse holdings include press cuttings, photograph etc.
- Carridice, Phil Nautical Training Ships: An Illustrated History (2009, Amberley Press)
- No surviving local records identified at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.