Ancestry UK

Aberdeen Burgh Council Homes

Children's establishments run at some time in their history by Aberdeen Burgh Council.

  • Bon Accord Home, 148 Bon Accord Street, Aberdeen
  • Balnagask, 193-5 Girdleness Road, Aberdeen
  • Westfield Boys' Hostel, 25 Westfield Terrace, Aberdeen
  • Broomhill Home, 332 Broomhill Road, Aberdeen
  • Kincorth Home, 41 Faulds Gate, Kincorth, Aberdeen
  • Westburn House, 41 Westburn Road, Aberdeen
  • 71 Westburn Road, Aberdeen
  • Northfield Family Home, 8 Marchburn Road, Aberdeen
  • Craigielea Reception Centre & Short Stay Home, Craigton Road, Aberdeen
  • Brimmond Assessment Centre, Kepplehills Road, Newhills, Aberdeen
  • Hallfield House, Lang Stracht, Aberdeen
  • Kaimill House Remand Home, Pitmedden Terrace, Aberdeen
  • Thorngrove House, Mannofield, Aberdeen
  • Seafield Cottage, Viewfield Road, Aberdeen
  • Aberdeen School for the Deaf, Beech Lodge, View Terrace, Aberdeen
  • Aberdeen School for the Deaf, Westburn Road, Aberdeen
  • Aberdeen School for the Deaf, Linksfield Road, Aberdeen
  • Airy Hall (or Airyhall) Children's Home, Craigton Road, Pitfoldels, Cults


The involvement of local authorities in the running of children's homes dates from 1930, when they took over the running of the poor relief system previously administered by Boards of Guardians. Surviving records for council-run children's homes may be held in each council's own internal archives. Prior to 1991, however, when a legal requirement was introduced for councils to retain records of children leaving their care, the survival of such records is very variable. Contact details for local authorities in the UK can be found on the website of the Care Leavers Association (CLA). The CLA also provides guidance on accessing childhood care files, which are normally only open to the individuals they relate to.

Locating local authority records has been complicated by the various local government reorganizations that have taken place in recent times, such as the abolition of the London County Council in 1965, and the major nationwide restructuring in 1974 in which many administrative areas were created, amended or eliminated.

Older records may sometimes be placed with the relevant county or borough record office. Many of these repositories have online catalogues of their holdings and also contribute to the National Archives' Discovery database. Note that records containing personal data usually have access closed for a period of fifty years or more.

Older material relating to Aberdeen Council homes may exist at:

  • Aberdeen City Archives, Town House, Broad Street, Aberdeen AB10 1AQ, and Old Aberdeen House, Dunbar Street, Aberdeen AB24 3UJ.

Some records relating to council-run homes, for example inspection reports (though not resident lists etc.), are held by The National Archives (TNA). A closure period may apply to these records.