All Saints' Home for Boys, Almondbury, West Riding of Yorkshire

The All Saints' Home for Boys was founded, perhaps as early as in 1870, by the Dowager Countess of Dartmouth. In 1892, the running of the home was passed to the Waifs and Strays Society. In 1894, the home moved to premises at Royd House (or Royds Lodge), Farnley Tyas, near Almondbury. The home could accommodate 6 boys aged 3 to 7, with Mrs Eliza Ford as its matron.

Royd House, Farnley Tyas, 2013. © Peter Higginbotham

In 1907, the home moved to new purpose-built premises on Dark Lane, Almondbury, where 10 boys aged from 3 to 7 were accommodated.

All Saints' Home for Boys, Almondbury, c.1908. © Peter Higginbotham

All Saints' Home for Boys, Almondbury, c.1929. © Peter Higginbotham

All Saints' Home for Boys, Almondbury, c.1931. © Peter Higginbotham

In 1937, the home was extended to increase its accommodation to ten.

Former All Saints' Home for Boys, Almondbury, 2013. © Peter Higginbotham

In 1945, like many others at the time, All Saints' became a mixed home. In 1974, it began to specialise in the care of children who were physically disabled.

The home closed in around 1987, having been run for the previous forty years or so by Janette and George Martin. The property now provides residential accommodation for older people.

Records

Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.

Bibliography