St Christopher's Orphanage, Ascot, Berkshire
St Christopher's Orphanage, also known as the Cottage Orphanage of the Holy Spirit, was established in 1878 by the Society of the Most Holy Trinity, the first of the religious orders re-founded in the Church of England after the Reformation. The home 'for orphans to be trained for service' was erected in the grounds of the Society's mother house, Ascot Priory, on Priory Road, Ascot, Berkshire. The property could accommodate could accommodate 26 girls, aged from 4 to 12 years at their time of admission. Payment was required which, in 1890, was £12 per annum.
Ascot Priory is now a retreat centre.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- None identfied at present — any information welcome.
- Higginbotham, Peter Children's Homes: A History of Institutional Care for Britain s Young (2017, Pen & Sword)
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.