Dr Nolan's Orphan Boys' Home, Bradford, West Riding of Yorkshire
A Home for Orphan Boys was established in around 1908 by Dr James Nolan at Woodville House, 149 Little Horton Lane, Bradford. Nolan also operated a similar institution at Morecambe.
The boys were supplied with uniforms and overcoats and sent out intgo the streets to sell picture postcards for the benefit of the home. In January, 1909, the Bradford Charity Organisation Society investigated the home after uniformed boys had been reported to be soliciting contributions for the establishment. It appeared that 'Dr' Nolan did not hold any qualification for that title, and that the home had no management committee and published no accounts. It was, the Society claimed, a 'private speculation'. The home is thought to have closed not long afterwards.
The Little Horton Lane property is now a private residence.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- None identfied at present — any information welcome.
- Higginbotham, Peter Children's Homes: A History of Institutional Care for Britain s Young (2017, Pen & Sword)
- None identified at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.