Newport Children's Home, Comerton by Leuchars, Fife, Scotland
In 1891, Mr T.W. Hodge, pastor of the Newport-on-Tay Congregational Church, initiated a scheme to open a convalescent and holiday home for the benefit of poor convalescent and invalid children from the slums in Dundee and its vicinity. In 1893, Comerton House, on the Cupar Road, about two miles south of Newport, was acquired for the purpose. (Although being rather nearer to Newport than Leuchars, the property's location is usually given as Comerton by Leuchars.) The house was a modern, two-storey residence with numerous outbuildings and open views towards St Andrews at the south-west. It could accommodate up to 18 children. The Home was formally opened on 12 June 1893 by Mr W.Y. Blyth-Martin, in the presence of Lord Provost Mathewson. Miss Stead was the the establishment's first matron.
From 1943 to 1948, the home was put at the disposal of the the Soldiers', Sailors' and Airmen's Association (SSAFA) and used to house the children of servicemen whose mothers were unable to look after them.
The home continued in operation until around 1970.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- None identfied at present — any information welcome.
- Higginbotham, Peter Children's Homes: A History of Institutional Care for Britain s Young (2017, Pen & Sword)
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.