Surrey Orphanage and Home for Girls, Croydon, Surrey
The Surrey Orphanage and Home for Girls was opened on February 4th, 1874, for 'the reception of respectable girls from any locality who have lost their parents, or who from other circumstances stand in need of home care and training, and to fit them to become good and useful servants.'
By 1878, the Home occupied premises at 44 Bensham Grove, New Thornton Heath, Croydon, Surrey, where around 15 inmates were accommodated under the care of Miss Caroline M Beagley. Girls were normally admitted between the ages of 8 and 12, with an annual payment of £12 being required. Every child was required to be vaccinated. Girls were brought up as members of the Church of England, and received a plain education, together with training in household skills to equip them for domestic service.
By 1907, the superintendent was Miss Chadwick, and by 1913 Miss Dingley. The Home is thought to have closed at around the time of the First World War.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- None identfied at present — any information welcome.
- Higginbotham, Peter Children's Homes: A History of Institutional Care for Britain s Young (2017, Pen & Sword)
- None identified at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.