Robertson Orphan Home for Girls, Musselburgh, East Lothian, Scotland
The Robertson Orphan Home for Girls was founded in 1875 by the Rev. Dr. William Robertson of New Greyfriars, Edinburgh. It was initially located in The Vennel (or Vennel Street), in Edinburgh's Grassmarket area. It then moved to a house at 1 Wilfrid Terrace, near Piershill. The establishment was successful, attracting both residents and financial support, and a second home was opened in a flat in Drum Terrace, Easter Road. In 1887, the two existing homes were replaced by a large house known as Maryfield, at 16 Easter Road. When that property was demolished in 1892, the home moved to 5 Pilrig Street.
In 1898, the running of the home was handed over to the Church of Scotland. Premises to house twenty girls were rented at Queensferry and formally opened on 27 October 1898. In 1904, the property was sold by its owner and the home was moved to Hamilton Place, Musselburgh — a block at the rear of 18-20 High Street, where Ambassador Court now lies. Accommodation was provided for 21 girls, the older ones being trained in housework to prepare them for domestic service.
by the 1930s, the home's address was 12-16 High Street, Musselburgh.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- None identfied at present — any information welcome.
- Higginbotham, Peter Children's Homes: A History of Institutional Care for Britain s Young (2017, Pen & Sword)
- None identified at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.